Living with illness

This week I was contacted by a lady called Heather from the States, who has been living with cancer for the past seven years.

She asked me to put a link to her awareness campaign on my blog. She has a rare form of cancer which is contracted through exposure to asbestos fibres.

She was diagnosed incredibly soon after having a baby, and given a poor prognosis. Wanting to live for her child has kept her focused on seeking treatment and looking after herself:
I am a wife, mother, and a mesothelioma survivor. When my daughter was 3 ½ months old, I was diagnosed with this rare and deadly cancer, and given 15 months to live. Despite my grim prognosis, I knew that I needed to beat the odds for my newborn daughter, Lily. It’s been 7 years now and I feel that it’s my duty to pay it forward by inspiring others. In honor of upcoming Mesothelioma Awareness Day (September 26), I want to use my personal story to help raise awareness of this little known cancer, and to provide a sense of hope for others facing life’s difficult challenges. I would love it you would help me spread awareness by sharing the campaign page on your blog so hopefully your readers will participate! My goal is 7,200 social media shares - your support will help get me there!
I wish I had something hilarious, clever, life changing to say. All I know is that I know too many women and mothers who have had to face different cancers. I have learnt so much from each of them, about fortitude, true drive, humour, and how extremely precious life is.

How little most of the stuff we worry about really matters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Month in the Country!

Summer holiday blues

What made you want to have a baby?